Thursday, August 13, 2009

HOW OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE WOULD'VE CHANGED MY LIFE Part 3

PART 3 - CONCLUSION

I have read a good portion of the Obama health care reform bill. Here are some of the ways the health care plan would've helped my family and I over the years. Please feel free to add ways in which you or your family would've been assisted.

-------------------------------------------------

* Prevention education would show the real dangers of smoking so my father may have quit and I may not have started.

* My father would've had a disease control plan rather than being tossed from doctor to doctor with no strategy.

* My father could have purchased medications from overseas at a far lower cost (cancer medicines are some of the most expensive in the world) rather than hoarding medicine in a cabinet for his worst pain and episodes, or rejecting treatment altogether, making his last moments more painful than ever.

* My father would not have racked up tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills due to rejected coverage based on clauses, technicalities, and "preexisting conditions."

* My mother would not still be trying to pay off my father's medical bills and her own (she is now declaring bankruptcy after 9 years of paying).

* My family would know whether we were entitled to more insurance money (we will never know since we had no end-of-life discussion).

* My father would have had a will (none was found).

* We wouldn't have had to break into my father's office to search for insurance documents since end-of-life counseling would've provided him with necessary services to organize such documentation and prevent us from being taken advantage of.

* I would probably not have been hurriedly misdiagnosed with cancer and scheduled for chemotherapy, and informed the day before chemo that they screwed up.

* I would not have had a surgeon trying to force me to do a surgery that the Mayo Clinic (second opinion) said was unnecessary, dangerous, and expensive.

* My credit would not be ruined from being unable to pay medical bills for the cases above (including the Mayo second opinion).

* I would potentially have a doctor, one day, treat me with respect, or call to see how I am doing, since there would be accountability.

* My legitimate complaints and concerns would be noted and examined, rather than used against me.

* My doctor wouldn't have been rewarded equally - or received MORE money - for misdiagnosing me with cancer.

* My doctor wouldn't have asked me to lie to get me in the hospital so he could perform an unneeded surgery.

* I would've had a doctor give me some sort of prevention or treatment plan concerning my chronic kidney stones. The best I've ever gotten is, "I ordered you a bunch of tests. Take these pills. If you feel worse, go to the hospital."

* My mother, my brother, and I (and practically everyone I know) wouldn't be prescribed powerful antibiotics if we have the flu.

* My mother would be able to afford insurance today (since she is older, has high blood pressure, and had a recent surgery for a tumor, the cost of real insurance for her would be around $600 a month. She is currently uninsured).

* My mother could get a treatment plan for her high blood pressure and afford medication, rather than skipping doses so she can save the medicine for bad episodes.

* My mother could afford a doctor and treatment plan, rather than going to fly-by-night medical clinics when she has an episode.

* My brother, who smokes, could afford a smoking cessation plan and receive professional help for his addiction.

* My brother would have insurance and be able to seek treatment when he is ill and would be covered in the case of a catastrophic accident or ailment (he is currently uninsured as a independent contractor and cannot afford insurance nor get insured from a reputable company).

* My uncle could have afforded to get treatment for his cancer (he could not and he died at 51).

* My grandfather could have afforded regular treatment for his high blood pressure (he died of a heart attack at 64).

* My other uncle could have grown up with his family, rather than being raised in a state mental institution due to the expense of his medications.

* Yet another uncle could still be alive had he been able to afford alcohol cessation treatment or a mental evaluation (riddled with mental health and alcohol problems, he died in a motorcycle accident when he ran into the back of another vehicle and flew through its back windshield).

2 comments:

  1. My mother may have lived to be 42.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine Obama's surprise. He may be realizing, for the first time, how many people don't want to be helped (particularly not by him).

    ReplyDelete